On Jan 26, 2009, at 11:27 PM, David Ford wrote:

hand because each line isn't strictly well-formed per RFC.  If every
vendor was as utterly asinine about absolutist conformance, sure, we'd
have a lot less mess out there, but we'd have a lot less forward
movement as well as a lot more fractioning of software packages. Since
everyone wants to do the protocol their own way, we'd just have a
multitude of protocol variations rather than more flexible interoperability.

it could be argued, that if there was absolutist conformance to standards, we could move forward even faster. There is literally a 20% developer tax on debugging css and html to make it work with most browsers. Many compromises made to satisfy the lack of strictness. I am not totally disagreeing with you, I am not known to make ascii art in emails :) but I do think we would have a better systems if standards were more adhered to.
--
Scott