Bryan Irvine wrote:
Other than to really annoy me;  is there a valid reason for rr rDNS?

Once upon a time, BIND specifically *disabled* round-robin behavior for non-address (A/AAAA) record types. PTR RRsets, among other types, were always given in a "fixed" order.

But, I just tried a quick test, and it appears that round-robin has been re-enabled for PTRs. Accident? I have no idea why anyone would want this behavior, except perhaps to deliberately make things annoying and the query results inconsistent, in the hopes that people will prevent the creation of round-robin PTRs in the first place.

By the way, as a personal preference, I hate the term "rDNS". Sounds like a whole different protocol, much as "rwhois" is a different protocol from the original "whois". But this is misleading, since it's merely a different way (special naming convention and a semi-special QTYPE) of using the *same* protocol.

- Kevin