On 10/6/2010 11:44 AM, Ben McGinnes wrote:
On 7/10/10 2:09 AM, Kevin Oberman wrote:
I can find nothing in the documentation that states such. If I missed
it, I'd appreciate someone pointing me at it.
I have some vague memory of seeing messages to that effect when using it
on a Solaris system in around 1999.  I stopped using it around then and
switched to host and dig.

I can't point you to specific documentation (I stopped caring when I
started using dig), but I did find these:

http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/nslookup.html
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jonathan.deboynepollard/FGA/nslookup-flaws.html

As far as I'm aware it only hung around because it was available on
Windows NT/2K/etc., while host and dig were not.

ISC has tried to kill it, but the beast is resilient and won't die. Invocations of nslookup are embedded in thousands of legacy scripts and some folks are unable or unwilling to change them.

- Kevin