My method for solving this problem is to have a local DNS with two views:
- internal view (recursing), responding to internal clients with local
addresses
- external view (not recursing), that is used as a hidden master for my
DNS-provider

No forwarding, the local server does all its own resolving, the hidden
master controls all the outside servers.

The downside is that you must maintain both views, typically with
different data, unless you only have public addresses. Some management
tool might be a good solution for this.

The good side is that your laptop users will not have to know whether
they are inside or outside your network - e.g. your mailserver is
mail.domain.com in all cases, inside it has a 192.168.x.x address and
outside it has a.b.c.d so mail programs never see any difference.

On 05/01/11 9:17, Fidel Viegas wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> First and foremost, Happy New Year!
>
> Secondly, this is my first post in this list and my first
> question is part technical, part administrative. Basically,
> I have hosted a webserver with a hosting company,
> who also manages my domain. Now, I have decided to
> setup a local mail server that is going to be part of the
> domain managed by the hosting company (e.g. mail.domain.com).
> That has been set ok, and it is all working. However,
> I have also configured a local DNS to resolve our
> internal names. The internal nameserver is setup as
> a caching nameserver that forwards to the
> hosting company's nameserver, and is also setup as
> a primary nameserver that manages the zone for the
> local domain (domain.local). That is all ok as well.
> The problem comes when the managers decided that
> they want the local domain the same as the
> global domain (e.g. domain.com). We can't really setup the
> global nameserver on our facilities because we experience quite a
> lot of power outage and also have Internet connectivity
> problems from time to time.
>
> Can someone suggest me an approach to resolve this issue without
> getting conflicts between the local nameserver
> and the hosting company's nameserver?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Fidel.