On 3/2/2011 1:20 PM, Kevin Darcy wrote:

I'm not saying I agree with this perspective, only that I've dealt with
load-balancer vendors enough (Cisco in particular) to understand that
this is where they're coming from.

Besides, what alternative is there? If the load-balancer returns an
address that it knows to not be working, then it's purposely causing the
client to go into a relatively-slow connection-timeout failure mode. Is
that responsible behavior?

Short answer: yes. The DNS side of the load-balancer has does't know why it got the query. Maybe I was trying to ping the endpoint, I could have been trying to make an FTP connection, or HTTPS, etc. In order for it to be consistent, it would have to be able to figure out that a SERVFAIL should be returned for the query from my gopher:// connection, but an IP should be returned for http://.

If it gives a "normal" response that is
lacking answer information (NODATA, NXDOMAIN), then this response gets
negatively cached, and the negative cache entry may delay clients from
re-trying the resource even after it recovers. So, what's left? NOTIMP?
FORMERR? REFUSED? NOTAUTH? Those aren't any better than SERVFAIL from a
strictly functional perspective, and are even more misleading and
confusing with respect to the real source of the problem.

SERVFAIL caching is coming to a BIND server release this year. (I listened to the BIND 9.8 features webinar this morning. I don't remember which version (9.9 or 9.10) had this attached to it on the What's Next slide.)

--
Dave