Our local university-wide recursive nameservers have

 options { /* ... */
  recursive-clients 5000;
  }

This is meant to be reached only at very bad times indeed. During a recent
network partition incident, I noticed that named logged

named: general: error: socket: file descriptor exceeds limit (4096/4096)
last message repeated 1194 times
named: general: error: socket: file descriptor exceeds limit (4096/4096)
last message repeated 780 times

a few seconds before it started on

named: client: warning: client 131.111.***.***#*****: recursive-clients
  soft limit exceeded (4901/4900/5000), aborting oldest query

As far as I can see, the only way to increase the socket limit is to use
-S in the named argument list. Should one always set this (at least as)
high as the recursive-clients setting? (Actually, I am more tempted to
try decreasing recursive-clients from 5000 to 4000 as these numbers are
reached only when the network has gone pear-shaped anyway.)

--
Chris Thompson
Email: c...@cam.ac.uk