Hello everyone,

Perhaps a Cisco list is a better destination for this, but I've seen a similar post here in the past couple of months, so posting here as well.

I'm trying to get our Cisco ACE set up appropriately to handle DNS traffic. So far, I've gotten it working using NAT (each rserver has a public and a private IP) and using transparent load-balancing (ACE talks directly to the public IP), aka direct server return.

Here's a question, however: how does one get probes working for a transparent LB setup? If an rserver listens for connections on all interfaces, then probes work fine, but return traffic from the uses the machine's default IP (not the VIP that was originally queried) for the source address of the return traffic.

What have people done to get probes working with transparent LB? Are any of you using NAT to handle your dns traffic? Not tying up NAT tables seems like the way to go, but lack of probes is a deal-breaker on this end.

--
John Miller
Systems Engineer