On 03/01/13 11:06, Joerg Stephan wrote:
Hi all,

we are currently using PowerDNS on our 12 Nameservers. Now we are
thinking about a migration to bind.

So we are seeking a way to distribute the named.conf.x for the
several zonfiles. Currently this is solved by powerdns via mysql
replication. Is there any tool in bind we could use. Generating the
conf file and syncing via ssh/rsync is discussed on our side, and we
hoped that there is a "nicer" way.

There are innumerable options for doing this. As written, the question is way too vague - "how do I copy a file".

FWIW we use a cron job on the nameservers to pull a .csv file from a master server, which builds the named.conf and does and "rndc reconfig" (if it has changed). But there are many, many ways to do this...

Many registrys are testing the dns server if the zone is available
during the registration. Genrating the new files via cron would cause
the registration to fail.

So don't use cron. Push the creation from a central server and then register the domain.

You may also want to investigate "rndc addzone" in the new version of bind. Something like:

# add the zone locally
rndc addzone ... "{ type master; allow-transfer ...; ...};"

# add zone on all slaves
for slave in server1 server2
do
  ssh root@$slave 'rndc addzone .. "{ type slave; master x.x.x.x; ...};'