On Jan 3, 2013, at 6:06 AM, Joerg Stephan <johe.step...@ymail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> we are currently using PowerDNS on our 12 Nameservers. Now we are thinking
> about a migration to bind.
>
> So we are seeking a way to distribute the named.conf.x for the several
> zonfiles. Currently this is solved by powerdns via mysql replication. Is
> there any tool in bind we could use. Generating the conf file and syncing via
> ssh/rsync is discussed on our side, and we hoped that there is a "nicer" way.

Yup, have a look at Puppet.

For the first while it will seem like way way more work than it is worth (and
the whole declarative language bit makes my head hurt) but after investing a
few hours getting things setup you'll wonder how you ever managed without it…
Deploying a new server (or configs, etc to a bunch of servers) suddenly becomes
trivial...

> Many registrys are testing the dns server if the zone is available during the
> registration. Genrating the new files via cron would cause the registration
> to fail.

Setup Puppet to distribute the file, and then have an exec action that does:
rndc addzone example.com '{type master; file "master/example.com"; };'

on master(s) and:
rndc addzone example.com '{type slave; master 192.0.2.1; };'
on devices that you have told Puppet are slaves.

After investing the time you'll wonder how you ever managed >2 boxes without it…

More more info on Puppet at: http://puppetlabs.com/puppet/puppet-open-source/
and http://docs.puppetlabs.com/learning/

> Regards
>
> Jörg

"I think perhaps the most important problem is that we are trying to understand
the fundamental workings of the universe via a language devised for telling one
another when the best fruit is." --Terry Prachett