If you don't specify recursion (or query-cache or allow-query), then the
default is:
    allow-recursion (localnets; localhost;)

Which means only things on the connected subnets are allowed to make
recursive queries, all others get REFUSED.
So add an allow-recursion ( .. subnet list ..);  to your config.  (Do not
allow 'all', please.)

--
Bob Harold
hostmaster, UMnet, ITcom