On 2015-08-10 13:12, Mark Andrews wrote:
Authoritative servers (listed in NS records) shouldn't be recursive.
This prevents leakage of cache data.  This provide consistent
answers.  The server also doesn't have to decide what type of answer
to give (recursive vs authoritative).  Glue doesn't get overridden
by answers, etc.

Recurive servers (honouring RD=1) however can be authoritative for
zones.  This proves robustness in the presence of link failures.
Faster than ttl expiry of local zone changes (provided that notify
messages are sent).

Unfortunately this has become strict seperation lore which really
wasn't ever the intent.

Mark

Though it didn't work out the one time we had an extended link blockage (due to a full log volume - no log no pass) At first local resolution continued working, until all the recursion slots (10,000) filled up on my (4) recursive servers, which are authoritative slave for local domain...had them stop answer anything.

Otherwise, its normally how we get local changes out quickly despite usually have a 1 day TTL. Though when its a domain that we host that they want to see a quick local change....we sometimes do nasty cache flushes to make that change appear. I have a script that takes care of that....which goes through all the servers without delays (I've debated on which is better, or if it doesn't matter.) I've played around with flushname/flushtree, but they don't seem always work....

So, I'm considering trying to separate things again.

--
Who: Lawrence K. Chen, P.Eng. - W0LKC - Sr. Unix Systems Administrator
                                   with LOPSA Professional Recognition.