Why not? Data obtained from the recursive function will never outrank
authoritative data of a master or a slave. See the "Data Ranking" section of
RFC 2181. AFAICT, it's been a *very* long time since BIND, or any other DNS
implementation, has accidentally got those ranking rules wrong and given
preference to cached data.

The main theoretical concern about mixing recursive and published-authoritative
functions on the same nameserver instance, would be that the recursive
functions -- which tend to be rather variable and unpredictable -- might take
up too much resources and thus interfere with the published-authoritative
functions of the same instance. But that's actually a reason to have *more* NS
records (to spread out the load, and to provide sufficient failover capability
in case one node gets overloaded, at any particular time), not an argument to
leave nodes *out* of the NS records. Diversity is a good thing, and
nameserver-selection failover tends to be very quick.

A better reason to limit the number of NS records is that, at a certain point,
your Authoritative Section on DNS responses may -- if EDNS0 is not ubiquitous
-- grow packet sizes to the point that they cause TCP retries. This is
especially likely when slaving Active Directory zones, since AD's recommended
practice is for *every* domain controller to run DNS, and the default behavior,
at DC promotion time, is to register the DC in the NS records of the domain, if
it's running DNS.

A much less likely reason for limiting the NS records of a zone is if one wants
to "shape" the traffic flows of queries and (potentially) Dynamic Updates,
because, say, some links are a lot more expensive than others (by "expensive" I
mean in an economic sense, not in terms of latency, since the
nameserver-selection algorithm already takes latency into account). But, given
that DNS traffic tends to be a small fraction of overall traffic, this concern
is not likely to be a factor.

RFC 2182 recommends 3 NSes per zone, but that RFC was written in 1997, and
oriented towards Internet-facing nameservers, at a time when the Internet
wasn't nearly as geographically-diverse as it is today. Around here, as a
somewhat-large, geographically-diverse enterprise, we tend to have 8-ish NSes
for our internal zones, plus or minus a few, depending on how "localized" the
zone is. For the Internet-facing stuff, we have less NSes, but they're all VIPs
of some kind, backed by multiple devices each. By implementing load-balancing,
Anycast, or some combination of the two, it's possible to make a zone highly
available without exploding the number of NS records published for it.

        - Kevin