Folks,
                Recently been looking at servers that host almost 200K ARPA
zones and load  about 80 million resource records.  They run on good hardware
and take only a few minutes to load the zones on a clean start.   The issue is
memory utilization of about 23 Gig in RAM.
                It seems a terrible waste of memory and a good portion of those
zones probably rarely see queries.

                I've got extensive experience with mySQL and postgres, but
always assumed you'd really take a latency hit.  Plus, we'd be adding more
complexity by running a DB server.  The current DNS servers are located in
separate data centers - it seems we'd have to also run a master/slave DB setup,
with a slave DB server at each site to avoid network overhead.  This all sounds
very slow and more complicated.

                Anyone with experience solving this type of issue?
                Many thanks!
John