> On Mar 24, 2016, at 6:28 AM, MURTARI, JOHN <jm5...@att.com> wrote:
>
> Folks,
>                 Recently been looking at servers that host almost 200K ARPA
> zones and load  about 80 million resource records.  They run on good hardware
> and take only a few minutes to load the zones on a clean start.   The issue
> is memory utilization of about 23 Gig in RAM.
>                 It seems a terrible waste of memory and a good portion of
> those zones probably rarely see queries.

But RAM is cheap.  a 32GB stick is usually under $200. And 80 million
customers?  Seems like a very small price to pay for reliable PTR records.

>                 I’ve got extensive experience with mySQL and postgres, but
> always assumed you’d really take a latency hit.  Plus, we’d be adding more
> complexity by running a DB server.  The current DNS servers are located in
> separate data centers – it seems we’d have to also run a master/slave DB
> setup, with a slave DB server at each site to avoid network overhead.  This
> all sounds very slow and more complicated.

And the development of such a system would cost significantly more than
throwing a couple more sticks of RAM into your server, and have on-going
training and maintenance costs.  Yes, engineers like to create an elegant
solution, but sometimes the cheap solution just makes a lot of sense.