On 2/3/17 10:45 AM, Mukund Sivaraman wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 03, 2017 at 08:51:01AM -0600, Alan Clegg wrote:
>> On 2/3/17 8:01 AM, Mukund Sivaraman wrote:

>> Adding code to allow enabling or disabling this output on the fly would
>> work MUCH better (as an example, see "rndc querylog"/ options "querylog
>> [on | off ]").
>>
>> Adding a "well, we needed this one time" value to the middle of a
>> long-standardized log file does no customer any good and inconveniences
>> everyone.
>>
>> You own the code and can do whatever you want to, but I'd recommend
>> making the default log message what it was prior to 9.10 and adding
>> additional fields via pre-configuration and "rndc".
>
> We may move it to the end of the log message (bugs ticket #44606 has
> been created for looking at it). Maybe its location was poor.. please
> can everyone who participated in this thread say whether having it at
> the end will be ok?

Since we are all going to have to change our configs (and those of all
the people around the world that don't read this list), just make a
decision.

> Making it a configurable option misses the reason it is the way it is -
> please see the first paragraph quoted above.

The "rndc" option allows those that KNOW that they may need the data
begin the collection where everyone else isn't impacted.  If you know
that this customer is at risk, tell them "run this command, it's going
to fark up your log files, but it won't screw over everyone else in the
world... once we get that data we are looking for, you can back down by
doing this other command.

> This seems to be a case where having it is inconvenient, and not having
> it is inconvenient.

I really don't care, but I hate seeing ISC make unilateral decisions
that don't really need to be made and messing up clients everywhere.

I swore after the response that I got last time I offered input on this
thread that I wouldn't be stupid enough to do it again.  I've proven
myself to be just as stupid as before.

IMNSHO: THE LOG FILE IS NOT THE PLACE FOR ONE-OFF DEBUGGING INFORMATION.
 <SHUT UP, ALAN... SHUT UP>

AlanC