From: bind-users [mailto:bind-users-boun...@lists.isc.org] On Behalf Of
MURTARI, JOHN
Sent: 06 February 2017 17:05
To: bind-users@lists.isc.org
Subject: RE: Bind Queries log file format

[snip]

> The additional logging info is specifically for the unusual bugs,
> which happen very rarely - asking customers to enable the additional
> logs after a rare event (which might not happen again for months /
> years) means that ISC cannot hunt down and squash the corner case
> bugs...

        I can understand the above.  ISC needs the data to help debug a
once-in-a-blue-moon crash.  But many busy sites do not have query logging
turned on at all (or only run sampling periods) and would not benefit anyway.

        It would seem this debug info should be moved to a separate log used
only for that purpose and always 'on'. But that brings up other issues....

        I've been a sys admin for many years.  If a utility crashes enough to
bother me I'll turn on more detailed logging.....

John