Dear All,

For a long time already, I am using a bind master DNS server based on debian
set up via webmin. It is currently Debian Stretch with bind 9.10. I am using
DNSSEC.

The  webmin setup leads to all keys being stored in /var/lib/bind. The naming
scheme is K[fqdn]+number+keyid.key or .private. There is one key-signing key
and one zone-signing key for each fqdn. Resigning works via a perl srcipt /
cronjob shipped by webmin.

To be able to generate future letsencrypt wildcard certificates, I would like
to implant acme challenges as TXT records via DNS. Using nsupdate, the dnssec
signing becomes troublesome. The error message in update_debug.log is:

Date/Time info: client IP#36210/key nsupdate: updating zone 'fqdn/IN': adding
an RR at '_acme-challenge.fqdn' TXT "..."
Date/Time error: client IP#36210/key nsupdate: updating zone 'fqdn/IN': found
no active private keys, unable to generate any signatures
Date/Time error: client IP#36210/key nsupdate: updating zone 'fqdn/IN':
RRSIG/NSEC/NSEC3 update failed: not found

Looking further, bind.log shows:
Date/Time general: warning: dns_dnssec_findzonekeys2: error reading private key
file fqdn/ECDSAP384SHA384/41844: file not found
Date/Time general: warning: dns_dnssec_findzonekeys2: error reading private key
file fqdn/ECDSAP384SHA384/55203: file not found

The numbers 41844 and 55203 are the very key IDs for which keys do exist in the
traditional K... format /var/lib/bind. Of course, /var/lib/bind is also set as
the key directory. The keys are certainly readable without permissions
problems. The error does not go away even if you make them 777.

Please inform me what the issue is and what to do. Is there a change in the key
naming scheme? How would the new names look like? I can certainly create one
directory per fqdn under /var/lib/bind/ and then one subdirectory
ECDSAP384SHA384 but what would be the (two?) files in 41844 and 55203? Is there
a way to convert?

Thank you very much for your efforts!

Michael Schefczyk