Hi Chris,

why don’t you just delegate the x.y.zzz to the server in the VPN?

Generally, the static-stub should work in this case, but your email doesn’t have
enough details why it would not.

I properly get SERVFAILs with this minimal config:

zone "sury.org" {
  type static-stub;
  server-names {
    "192.168.1.1";
  };
};

and named -g reports:

15-May-2020 15:25:00.015 network unreachable resolving '192.168.1.1/A/IN':
2001:503:c27::2:30#53
15-May-2020 15:25:00.015 network unreachable resolving '192.168.1.1/AAAA/IN':
2001:503:c27::2:30#53

Cheers,
Ondrej
--