dnssec-policy default;

Slightly off-topic, but I believe ISC reccomend using a custom policy instead
of `default' in case the default changes in future.

view "internal" {
   zone "penguinpee.nl" {
       type    primary;
       file    "dynamic/penguinpee.nl.internal.zone";
   };
};

view "external" {
   zone "penguinpee.nl" {
       type            primary;
       file            "master/penguinpee.nl.zone";
   };
};

Using delv, the internal view of the zone fully validated, for SOA, A, AAAA etc.

That surprises me a bit; I've always maintained BIND will not validate a
DNSSEC-signed zone it is authoritative for. Unless you mean RRSIGs were
still valid.

I thought that with 'dnssec-policy default' BIND would take care of it. Upon updating the zone, increase the serial number and tell named with 'rndc reload zone'. What am I missing?

BIND should be signing the zone(s) with dnssec-policy, yes, and the
dynamically-updateable zone will be signed on  update and SOA serial
increased automatically.

I wonder whether it's getting confused (can software get confused? I suppose
so) with the two identically-named zones. If this were my installation and
I had to use views, I'd try specifying distinct policies for the zones
to see if that makes a difference.

        -JP