Hi,

by default, the files written by BIND when acting as a slave is
not in "text" format, but is some binary file format, I beleive
what is referred to as "raw" format.

Once in a while it's desireable to be able to see the contents of
the slave zone file as plain text.  To that end I have previously
used named-compilezone to do this with

named-compilezone \
        -q -j -f raw -F text -o - \
        $z \
        $directory/$z

However... This does not appear to work anymore.

Earlier I ran BIND 9.16 on this host, but it has been upgraded to
9.18 (built and installed from local source).  It seems that a
while back (probably in the 9.16 era), named-compilezone was
changed to a symlink to named-checkzone, and it also looks like
BIND 9.18 no longer installs named-checkzone, so what I have as
named-checkzone appears to come from BIND 9.16.

Trying to use the procedure as above results in a named-checkzone
which hangs in select(), which is a bit strange when it's only
supposed to act on local files?!?

What should I now use instead of the above to convert the binary
zone file to back to the textual master zone file format?  Please
don't say "that's not possible"...

(This might be important to be able to do if an upstream suffers
a catastrophe of some sort, as a step along the path to convert
this name server to be a master for the zone in question.  Being
a master implies being able to modify the zone, and doing that
with a binary file is ... slightly inconvenient.)

Regards,

- Håvard