Hello,

A year ago, I migrated a subdomain from auto-dnssec to dnssec-policy according to https://kb.isc.org/docs/dnssec-key-and-signing-policy.

Everything went well. named set the ZSK's lifetime to 0. I later initiated a manual rollover. I also had to set the KSK's DSState manually from rumoured to published.

The domain uses this policy:

 dnssec-policy "myway" {
  keys {
   ksk key-directory lifetime unlimited
       algorithm rsasha256 2048;
   zsk key-directory lifetime P60D
       algorithm rsasha256 1024;
  };
 };

When I migrated another domain today, the active ZSK was immediately superseded by a new ZSK (same algorithm) and the old ZSK's DNSKEY wasn't published. For the time being, I've added an unlimited policy in order to keep the current ZSK:

 dnssec-policy "myunlimited" {
  keys {
   ksk key-directory lifetime unlimited
       algorithm rsasha256 2048;
   zsk key-directory lifetime unlimited
       rsasha256 1024;
  };
 };

How can I enable ZSK rollover without immediately loosing the current ZSK's DNSKEY?

The current ZSK is old and has these keys in the private file:

 Private-key-format: v1.3
 Created: 20151010091913
 Publish: 20151010091913
 Activate: 20151010091913

With the "myway" policy, named added the keys below when I switched from auto-dnssec to dnssec-policy.

 Inactive: 20151209091913
 Delete: 20151219102413

Why does named add new keys with past dates?

Another problem: Even after running "rndc dnssec -checkds published example.com" the KSK stays in DSState rumoured. I've got the following messages in the log:

 keymgr: checkds DS for key example.com/RSASHA256/12345
 seen published at Mon Jan 30 10:58:16 2023
 zone example.com/IN (signed): reconfiguring zone keys

I have Bind 9.18.10 on Fedora 37. A year ago I had Bind 9.16.23 on Fedora 35.

Kind regards,
Andreas