Thanks for the reply. Interesting.
Option A - It works but I would like to stop maintaining two different servers with the same data.
Option B - I have no chance of getting the company to agree to IPv6.
Option C - From your summary, does not appear to remove the requirement to maintain the data twice Option D - No chance of re-zoning internally. It would be a long term project like IPv6.
Option E - Agreed. Does not appear to simplify anything
Option F - Looks really interesting. I'll investigate further
Option G - Yes it would be trivial with DNSMasq internally. I don't think I have any chance of pushing this through. Also DNSMasq does not support replication (but it could be scripted). I could look for other solutions but I doubt I would get anywhere in the company.

I'll spend some time investigating option F, thanks.

Nick