Am 03.11.2023 um 19:54:32 Uhr schrieb Nick Howitt:

> How do you mean remove the zone information?

In your /etc/bind are configuration files.
Look for named.conf* and find those that include zones:

zone "f.8.1.1.0.7.1.0.1.0.a.2.ip6.arpa" {
type master;
file "/etc/bind/db.f.8.1.1.0.7.1.0.1.0.a.2.ip6.arpa";
};

Those lines make it authoritative for that zone. If it isn't
authoritative for that zone, it will ask the forwarder (if
configured) or looks it up from the root servers and goes down the
hierarchy to the authoritative server (your external).

> Which bits do I change and does this then leave me able to serve out
> internal IPs for the FQDN's that require them?

No, if you need to server different information than your "external"
server, you need a source for that information.

That is why I advocate against using split DNS and migration to IPv6 to
only have one address for that server.