Hello Bioacoustics-L,

I am working to set up a pilot project that aims to deploy audio equipment in remote locations to automatically record wildlife vocalizations. The recorders need to be as inexpensive as possible, weather proof, high storage capacity, battery operated, with programmable timing, and pretty small / inconspicuous. The recording quality needs to be sufficient for pattern recognition of species-specific vocalizations (frogs, crickets/katydids, birds). We'd like to be able to deploy these for up to two weeks at a time.

I'm aware of Cornell's "ARU"s, but it sounds like they are proprietary, pricey, and only available for lease. I'm also aware of the Wildlife Acoustics Song Meter, which I think would fit the bill for my project. I have not been able to find any alternatives to the Song Meter system. However, my contracting office is claiming that there are "lots" of alternative vendors for similar systems. Is anyone on this list aware of alternative systems available for purchase? Has anyone had good or bad experiences with the Song Meter system or an alternative system?

I'll post a summary of responses that I receive!

Thanks,

Brian Mitchell

Reply via email to