Dear colleagues,

our new paper on mating disruption of an insect pest using vibrational noise has just been published. We believe that the approach holds a lot of promise, and it's significant also because it shows that it's possible to develop innovative pest control methods using basic knowledge about animal acoustics. Details below, please write me or the senior author for reprints if you do not have access.

Mating disruption of a grapevine pest using mechanical vibrations: from laboratory to the field

Jernej Polajnar, Anna Eriksson, Meta Virant-Doberlet, Valerio Mazzoni
Journal of Pest Science, pp 1-13 (online first, 2016-01-09)
DOI 10.1007/s10340-015-0726-3 <http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10340-015-0726-3>

Mating disruption using mechanical vibrations is a novel idea for integrated pest management of insect pests. We present results of research on using artificial vibrational noise to prevent mate recognition and localization mediated by vibrational signals in the grapevine pest Scaphoideus titanus. Building on the proof of concept published previously, mating trials were set up in laboratory to determine the amplitude threshold for playback efficacy and reveal the mechanism of its function, while field trials were performed to validate this threshold and explore the possibility of reducing energy use by exploiting the diel pattern of this species’ mating activity. The threshold obtained in laboratory trials—15 μm/s peak amplitude—was confirmed by measurements of attenuation and insect mating in field cages at successive distances from the source. We also discovered that shutting off the disruptive noise between 1000 and 1800 h did not reduce efficacy of the method in the field, allowing energy saving in this period. The noise had an all-or-nothing effect on S. titanus mating behaviour, and we were unable to ascertain the exact mechanism of the communication breakdown, but the approach appears robust enough to merit large-scale testing in the future. Keywords: Scaphoideus titanus, Integrated pest management, Vibrational noise, Mating disruption, Hemiptera, Vineyard

Best regards,

Jernej

--
Jernej Polajnar, PhD
Oddelek za raziskovanje organizmov in ekosistemov / Department of organisms and

Tel.: +386 (0)59 232 780
Fax:  +386 (0)1 2412 980
Skype: jpolajnar