*Job Description:* Post‐doctoral position is available at the Scripps
Institution of Oceanography (University of California San Diego) for a
highly motivated candidate with a strong background in acoustics. The
selected candidate will work on a project to develop density estimates
of blue and fin whale populations in Southern California from passive
acoustic data. The candidate will be expected to evaluate detection
probabilities and detection ranges from previously collected recordings
and apply them to abundance estimation using Distance sampling framework.
* PhD in acoustics, oceanography, or a related discipline
* Experience with acoustic propagation modeling
* Knowledge of density estimation techniques
* Computer competency including strong programming skills (Matlab, R,
* Excellent written and oral communication skills, including proven
ability in writing reports and scientific papers and oral presentations
* Project management and supervisory experience
The candidate will be part of a growing Marine Bioacoustics Lab at
Scripps and will be expected to be an engaged member of our group. More
details about the lab at https://scripps.ucsd.edu/labs/sirovic/.
To apply, please email a package consisting of (1) letter of interest,
(2) curriculum vitae with names of three references, and (3) a brief
summary of current and future research interests to asiro...@ucsd.edu.
Expected start date is early 2017. Review of applications will start in
late September 2016 and will continue until a suitable candidate is
identified. There is current funding for the position for approximately
18 months, but applicants with strong background will be encouraged to
apply to the 2017 Scripps Postdoctoral Program for extension of funding.
Dr. Ana Širović
Marine Bioacoustics Lab
Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UCSD
9500 Gilman Dr MC 0205
La Jolla, CA 92093-0205