hi Steve,

Thanks for pointing me to this bug. I have fixed this in version 1.0.9. So
now rlogTransformation should accept the given dds just like
varianceStabilizingTransformation.

To avoid making a copy of the dds but still re-estimate dispersions, one
can do:

design(dds) <- ~ 1
mcols(dds)$dispersion <- NULL

then either rlogTransformation or varianceStabilizingTransformation, which
will call estimateDispersions internally.

Mike