It would be nice to have functions like isSNV, isIndel, isDeletion, etc
that at least provide precise definitions of the terminology. I've added
these, but they're designed only for VRanges. Should work for ExpandedVCF.

Also, it would be nice if restrictToSNV just assumed that alt(x) must be
something with nchar() support (with special handling for any List), so
that the 'character' vector of alt,VRanges would work immediately.
Basically restrictToSNV should just be x[isSNV(x)]. Is there even a
use-case for the restrictToSNV abstraction if we did that?

Michael