On 03/03/2015 03:06 PM, Peter Haverty wrote:
I'd like to see a basic class that takes a DataFrame and a sub-class that
takes a GRanges.

Yes.

I still think GRanges should be a subclass of DataFrame,
which would make this easy, but I don't seem to be winning that argument.

Just impossible. As Michael mentioned back in November, they have
conflicting APIs.

While the hood is up, can we try some different names?
SummarizedExperiment never seemed like a great fit to me because it doesn't
necessarily contain experiments or summaries thereof.  It's a collection of
like-sized rectangular things with metadata on the two dimensions.  Maybe
the name could reflect what it holds rather than a common use case?
AnnotatedMatrixList?

We actually need 2 names: 1 for the parent class, 1 for the child. I'm
starting to think that introducing 2 new names would maybe make the
migration a little bit easier, especially since the plan is to move the
"refactored SummarizedExperiment" to its own package. With 2 new names
we can start the new package, implement the 2 new classes in it, and
have the old SummarizedExperiment (in GenomicRanges) and the 2 new
classes peacefully cohabit during the time of the migration.

Cheers,
H.

  Anyway, I'm excited to see a version on the way that takes a DataFrame as
rowData.  I'm glad you guys are working on that.

Regards,

Pete

Peter M. Haverty, Ph.D.
Genentech, Inc.