Robert

with the packages cellHTS, cellHTS2 and DESeq, DESeq2 (and with the functions
vsn, vsn2 in the vsn package) I three times chose route 1, and am generally
happy about it. In due time, you can deprecate and then defunct the old one.

Option 2 seems needlessly disruptive (potentially). A large fraction of users
you never ‘see’ or get in contact with. Not sure how that translates into
absolute numbers of course.

With option 3 it seems difficult to implement the exact same (and probably
unsatisfactory) behaviour that people are used to.

People also seem used to that from other products (WIndows 3.1, or now soon 10;
iphone 6; X11; HTML5; …)

Best wishes
        Wolfgang