Hi Nico,

It seems reasonable indeed to support rowRanges<- on
SummarizedExperiment0. It might be a little bit surprising for the
user that the setter changes the class of the object but it looks
like a perfectly legit situation for doing so here. Also there are
some precedents:

  > x <- 1:5
  > x[1] <- "a"

and:

  library(Biostrings)
  dna <- DNAString("GGATTAAA")
  class(dna)  # DNAString
  masks(dna) <- Mask(length(dna), 2, 5)
  class(dna)  # MaskedDNAString

I'll add this, unless someone has a better idea?

Thanks,
H.