Hi Michael,

On 10/15/2015 10:08 AM, Michael Lawrence wrote:
Tangentially related, it seems like nchar is worth defining in
BiocGenerics, with a signature of "x". I saw that Biostrings uses "type",
but I'm not sure why.

The 2 "nchar" methods that dispatch on the 'type' argument are from
the Biostrings 1 era (> 9 years old) and were kept in the Biostrings/Biostrings1/ folder for legacy only (this code doesn't
get evaluated, not even installed). That reminds me that it's probably
time to get rid of all that stuff.

But if we're just going to use the signature of 'x',
I can make nchar dispatch internally, so we don't need an R-level generic.
Will that work?

If by "make nchar dispatch internally" you mean "turn nchar() into a
primitive in R", like, say, length(), names(), dim(), dimnames(), `[`,
etc... then works for me.

Thanks,
H.

Michael

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 5:19 AM, Morgan, Martin <