On 10/10/2017 04:56 AM, Aaron Lun wrote:
Dear list;

Currently the vignette for the BiocParallel package states that the functions
to be executed should contain the necessary library() calls if bplapply is used
with SnowParam(). Now, I use bplapply in several of my packages with internal
helper/wrapper functions, and that piece of advice caused me to worry whether I
should have library() calls in all of these functions.

After some testing and contemplation, I realised that the internal functions
would pass along the package namespace to each worker, and so no extra loading
was required. Perhaps it would be a good idea to mention this in the vignette,
to soothe the hearts of package developers like me.

Some mention of the memory consumption behaviour of MulticoreParam would also
be useful (as discussed in https://support.bioconductor.org/p/70196/#70509),
especially if people are choosing between MulticoreParam and SnowParam.

Thanks Aaron, tried to address that in https://github.com/Bioconductor/BiocParallel/commit/0e1b75087a66927b4ac593e806f0a677dab52bbf

Martin

Cheers,

Aaron