On 01/17/2018 12:02 PM, Stephanie M. Gogarten wrote:
This sentence seems to indicate that the original format \link[base]{rbind} should work:

"Because they have been frequently misused, the HTML help system looks for topic foo in package pkg if it does not find file foo.html."

I looked at the code

https://github.com/wch/r-source/blob/89ec1150299f7be62b839d5d5eb46bd9a63653bd/src/library/tools/R/Rd2HTML.R#L377

and for \link[base]{rbind} it seems (a) like the condition is reversed and one would have expected a warning

"file link 'rbind' in package 'base' does not exist and so has been treated as a topic"

The warning "missing file link" would seem to be intended for \link[base]{foo}. But (b) it's a warning either way, so one needs to correct it. And (c) Leonardo's original code generated a valid link -- as the corrected warning would have indicated, 'rbind' was treated as a 'topic' (i.e., listed as an '\alias{}'), and found in cbind.html.

FWIW I debugged this with

  links <- findHTMLlinks(system.file(package="base"))
  Rd2HTML("recount/man/geo_characteristics.Rd", Links=links)

to generate the HTML with links, and then

  options(warn=2, error=recover)
  links <- findHTMLlinks(system.file(package="base"))
  Rd2HTML("recount/man/geo_characteristics.Rd", Links=links)

to get into the debugger and see what was going wrong.

I'll follow up on part (a).

Martin