On Sat, Aug 18, 2018 at 12:17 PM, Ghiwa Khalil <g...@aub.edu.lb> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are writing a package with 2 main functions, one of these functions
> requires kent utils to be installed.
>
> Since kent utils is supported by only specific operating systems, is it
> recommended to have it in an R package?
>
> If we remove this function then our package will only be based on one
> function, we are not sure if it is clever to submit a package with one
> function. We were thinking to keep the function based on kent utils and
> consider it as an option for users able to use it.
>

> Any thoughts on this issue?

It is best to have packages that run on all platforms.  The number of
functions
in a package is not an important determinant of usefulness.

What exactly do you require from the "kent utils"?  Have you checked
rtracklayer
for relevant functionality?

You would get best guidance if you identified a github repo where your
package is being developed.  If you are concerned about exposure, you can
invite a developer as a confidential evaluator/consultant.  I would be
willing
to play this role if necessary.

Sincerely,
Vincent Carey