I'm using

    Depends: R (>= 2.12.0)

to communicate that I've tested/verified that the package works as far
back as R 2.12.0.

Also, since R (>= 3.5.1) and R (>= 3.5.0) has been mentioned here, in
'Writing R Extensions' there is:

"It is inadvisable to use a dependence on R with patchlevel (the third
digit) other than zero. Doing so with packages which others depend on
will cause the other packages to become unusable under earlier
versions in the series, and e.g. versions 3.x.1 are widely used
throughout the Northern Hemisphere academic year."

which suggests one should aim for R (>= x.y.0).  This is also tested
by `R CMD check --as-cran` or `_R_CHECK_R_DEPENDS_=warn R CMD check`,
e.g.

* checking package directory ... OK
* checking DESCRIPTION meta-information ... WARNING
Dependence on R version ‘3.5.1’ not with patchlevel 0
* checking top-level files ... OK

The source code comments
(https://github.com/wch/r-source/blob/R-3-5-branch/src/library/tools/R/check.R#L982-L1008)
give more motivation behind this check:

## Dependence on say R >= 3.4.3 when 3.4 is current can
## cause problems with revdeps (and did for 3.2.x).
## We only check recent ones: maybe previous two
## (R-release and R-old-release) while this is R-devel

I believe this is written from the perspective of CRAN and their tests.

/Henrik