Hi Vinh,

See in line replies,

On Feb 22, 2019, at 2:30 PM, Vinh Tran
<t...@bio.uni-frankfurt.de<mailto:t...@bio.uni-frankfurt.de>> wrote:

Dear all,

I am planning to submit a package into Bioconductor. But BiocCheck() gave a
warning about the size of the git pack file:

$warning
[1] "The following files are over 5MB in size:
'.git/objects/pack/pack-29a3f2d2d1ed7d701d59dd2ce921229f2b9dab68.pack'"

I tried to use git filter-branch to delete the big files in git history, but
the pack file is still almost 25MB. I also tried BFG-Tool to do the same task,
but I couldn’t push the changes from BFG to github due the some hidden branches
(or deleted/merged git pulls) that denied the commit.

I would like to ask, if it is a serious warning that must be resolved? If yes,
could you please suggest me another way to reduce the size of the git pack file?

Yes, we consider it a warning that needs to be resolved. Please see if any of
the following links help you first,

http://bioconductor.org/developers/how-to/git/remove-large-data/

There is an older post
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/bioc-devel/2018-November/014274.html which deals
with the same issue. Cleaning up large .git files with BFG cleaner. Please take
a look at that as well and see if it helps you.

Another thing to keep in mind is, unless you go through with “git —prune”, your
package size doesn’t actually get smaller because the previous data is still
stored in the .git/pack files

Secondly, I also got a note from BiocCheck() that I am not listed in the
bioc-devel mailing list. But it is unclear to me, because I've already
subscribed to both bioc-devel and also the
support.bioonductor.org<http://support.bioonductor.org>
<http://support.bioonductor.org/> using this email
(t...@bio.uni-frankfurt.de<mailto:t...@bio.uni-frankfurt.de>
<mailto:t...@bio.uni-frankfurt.de>). Could anyone check this for me, please?

$note
[1] "Cannot determine whether maintainer is subscribed to the
bioc-devel\nmailing list (requires admin credentials).  Subscribe
here:\nhttps://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/bioc-devel”

You should be able to submit the package and if the issue persists on the build
machine, we can take a look at it. One of the admin’s on the mailing list can
see if you are subscribed successfully or not.

I wouldn’t worry about this till your package gets submitted without the large
files issue.

Best,

Nitesh

Thanks so much for your help!
Best regards,
Vinh

This email message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential
information.  If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or
agent responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended
recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying,
distribution, or use of this email message is prohibited.  If you have received
this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and
delete this email message from your computer. Thank you.