The master branch is the development branch (Bioc 3.12) .  The version  of
x.y.z   The y is always odd in devel  and even in release.  This is the very
first section on the page you referenced.
http://bioconductor.org/developers/how-to/version-numbering/

We do not jump full y versions in the middle of a release.

The current RELEASE_3_11  version is  1.0.0  =  the appropriate version bump on
this branch is  1.0.1

The current master version is 1.1.0  = the appropriate version bump on this
branch is  1.1.1

If you are unfamiliar with git and github branches I encourage you to read more
documentation about it.  There are many helpful tutorials.
You can have as many branches on your local github repository as you like. We
recommend creating unique branches for bioconductor releases to mimic our
branch structure.   In general, and to make it less confusing we would highly
recommend using the master branch as the development branch and link that to
the master (development version) of Bioconductor.   This would be consistent
and then you can following the guides and tutorials listed on the Bioconductor
help pages

http://bioconductor.org/developers/how-to/git/

The release branch is designed to always be a stable branch and should only be
updated for bug corrections.
The master branch should be for development and new features.

We will assume you ran the following to set up your remotes as recommended:
git remote add upstream g...@git.bioconductor.org:packages/tidybulk.git

if you do
git remote -v

you should see something similar:
origin  <link to your github> (fetch)
origin  <link to your github> (push)
upstream g...@git.bioconductor.org:packages/tidybulk.git (fetch)
upstream g...@git.bioconductor.org:packages/tidybulk.git (push)

To create and work on a release branch:

git fetch --all
# this gets all branches from all remotes

# The following would only need to be run once EVER!
git checkout -b RELEASE_3_11  upstream/RELEASE_3_11

# this says checkout  a branch (-b)  call it RELEASE_3_11  and have it
copied/link to the code at  upstream/RELEASE_3_11 (the #bioconductor upstream
remote branch of RELEASE_3_11)

After it is created, to switch to this branch on a daily basis you can simply:
git checkout RELEASE_3_11

git pull upstream RELEASE_3_11
# pulls changes from the upstream RELEASE_3_11 remote

# The following would only need to be run once EVER!   It creates a branch on
your local github called RELEASE_3_11
git push -u origin RELEASE_3_11

Make your code changes to fix bugs! Make sure to do a valid version bump by
bumping the  z  of version  x.y.z

git add <files>
git commit    # give an informative commit message

git push upstream RELEASE_3_11
# This should push to the Bioconductor git repository

git push origin RELEASE_3_11
# This should push to your github local git repository

git checkout master
# Switch back to your master branch for development and code changes

If you are ever confused on what branch you are on you can do
git branch

To work on the devel master branch the commands would be similar to above but
using master

git pull upstream master  # pulls from git bioconductor
git pull origin master        # pull from your individual github

# make changes, commit changes

git push upstream master  # pushes to git Bioconductor
git push origin master   # push to your github

Hopefully that helped clarified and will get you started.

Lori Shepherd

Bioconductor Core Team

Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center

Elm & Carlton Streets

Buffalo, New York 14263