Dear Martin and Vince

thank you, very insightful points. Indeed I think it’s primarily a matter of
documentation and priming, and, e.g., adding Martin's lines prominently enough
e.g. to https://contributions.bioconductor.org/use-devel.html and a reference
to it into the manpage of BiocMananger::install.

I acknowledge that installation and dealing with dependencies is *hard*. The
relatively smooth user experience of Bioconductor, compared to other projects,
is one of our greatest assets. I guess it needs constant attention on our side.
One of the slogans of R/Bioconductor is “turning users into developers” and
therefore something that has useful defaults but is easy enough to customize
seems desirable. In that sense, it’d be great to be able to stay with
BiocManager::install and not having to abandon it in favour of
base::install.packages.

The codebase behind BiocManager::install seems to have become a little….
complicated.

The documentation clarification re BIOCONDUCTOR_ONLINE_VERSION_DIAGNOSIS that
Martin suggests would be welcome.

Kind regards
Wolfgang