That's great news.  FWIW I am finding that the advice at
https://rstudio.github.io/reticulate/articles/python_dependencies.html
can work to produce properly resolved python dependencies.  Just don't
follow the example literally; the requested
scipy version may not exist.  Version 1.11.1 does. Stay tuned.

On Thu, Jul 6, 2023 at 7:43 AM Charlotte Soneson <charlottesone...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> in case it's useful: we have a package (orthos) in review (
> https://github.com/Bioconductor/Contributions/issues/3042) which uses
> basilisk to set up a conda environment with tensorflow and keras. It builds
> and runs fine both on GitHub Actions (GitHub repo here:
> https://github.com/fmicompbio/orthos) and on the Single Package Builder.
> We have also tested (locally) that it will use GPUs if available, and that
> the GPU configuration can be controlled from the R session (outside of the
> package), e.g. by setting the CUDA_VISIBLE_DEVICES environment variable.
>
> Charlotte
>
> > On 5 Jul 2023, at 23:12, Kasper Daniel Hansen <
> kasperdanielhan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > So I think Kim is interfacing to tensorflow by using the keras package
> from
> > CRAN (partly authored by the Rstudio people). This package leaves it to
> the
> > user to install tensorflow, which is a highly non-trivial installation
> > task. There is some partly helpful instructions for using conda together
> > with reticulate (see the macOS tab on
> > https://tensorflow.rstudio.com/install/local_gpu.html). This is the job
> > that basilisk handles for you. In essence, basilisk allows the developer
> > specify an R-package-specific conda. Tensorflow can be run on a CPUor a
> > GPU. Getting it to run on a user-GPU is extra complicated and I am not
> sure
> > basilisk can handle this.
> >
> > Going forward, we (Bioc) want to decide if we want to support keras on
> our
> > build system. This will require some work, because it is definitely not
> > trivial to get to work (but much more possible if we limit ourselves to
> > running on CPU). If we decide to support keras, we should try to figure
> out
> > how to wrap keras into a basilisk container; perhaps something like
> > creating a keras-basilisk R package, because IF we decide to support
> keras,
> > this is going to be a major headache (to add to the frustration,
> tensorflow
> > often rearranges everything so I future issues keeping it operational).
> >
> > For Kim: I think you should consider if there are any alternatives to
> > keras. Even if we get it to work on our build system, users will have
> major
> > headache getting this to work (I think). If there are no alternatives to
> > keras, you should perhaps think about doing the keras-basilisk option I
> > outline above (assuming that is feasible; I don't know how keras
> interfaces
> > with tensorflow. You might also have major headaches in your future: I
> have
> > found quite big differences in convergence and optimizers over time in TF
> > and you're basically saying it should work with every version of
> tensorflow
> [...]

The information in this e-mail is intended only for the ...{{dropped:18}}