http://www.arizonabiotech.com/
http://www.arizonaentrepreneurs.com/
http://www.azhttp.com/

Yahoo! Groups My Groups | biotech-news Main Page

Samaritan is the Little Biotech That Could Be Remembered for Alzheimer's

  • Alzheimer's Expected to Claim 14M Lives by 2050
  • Analyst Predict Alzheimer's Market Could Reach $4B Annually by 2013

Samaritan Pharmaceuticals Inc.  a developer of innovative drugs, announced today, its Alzheimer's drug SP233, recently registered as Caprospinol, showed no toxic effects in standard preclinical assays used to evaluate its safety. This is an important finding for SP233's future as a possible life-saving, memory-saving, Alzheimer's drug. Samaritan has concluded a number of preclinical studies of SP233, in preparation to file an investigational new drug (IND) application, with the FDA.

While the jury is still out as to the exact cause of Alzheimer's, most researchers think a buildup of the protein beta-amyloid in the brain is what causes the disease. So far, each preclinical study has given Samaritan hope that SP233 holds promise to exert neuroprotective properties against beta-amyloid toxicity.

Dr. Greeson, CEO of Samaritan stated, "We are wrapping up the last preclinical study to file an IND with the FDA, it's been a complex process but we are almost there, it's exciting. We are cautiously optimistic the FDA will grant us an IND and if so, SP233 would be one of the few drugs to be tested in humans that could actually treat Alzheimer's, not just alleviate its symptoms."

Samaritan Pharmaceuticals: "We LIV....to Save Lives."

Samaritan is a small-cap Biotech, driven to discover, develop, and commercialize, innovative therapeutics' for AIDS, Alzheimer's, Cancer and Heart disease. Look at http://www.samaritanpharma.com Please register on Website so we can notify you of upcoming conference calls, news and events.

Disclaimer

The company disclaims any information that is created by an outside party and endorses only information that is communicated by its press releases, filings and Website. This news release contains forward-looking statements that reflect management's current beliefs about the potential for its drug candidates, science and technology. However, as with any biopharmaceutical under development, there are significant risks and uncertainties in the process of development and regulatory review. There are no guarantees that products will prove to be commercially successful. For additional information about the factors that affect the company's business, please read the company's latest Form 10-K filed April 15, 2005. The company undertakes no duty to update forward-looking statements.

Contact:
Samaritan Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Gene Boyle, 702-735-7001

Source: Samaritan Pharmaceuticals Inc.