http://www.arizonabiotech.com/
http://www.arizonaentrepreneurs.com/
http://www.azhttp.com/

Yahoo! Groups My Groups | biotech-news Main Page

Farmers Recognize Environmental Benefits of GM Crops

Hardwick sees advantages for land, wildlife and society.

St. Louis, MO April 24, 2006 -- Since first commercialized in 1996,
GM crops have enabled farmers to incorporate farming practices that
are more environmentally responsible – most notably decreased
plowing and reduced pesticide applications.

"Over the last 10 years, many farmers in our area – and I think this
is throughout the United States – have come to realize that we have
had an impact upon the environment," says U.S. farmer Jay Hardwick,
who grows biotech corn, cotton and soybeans. "With the potential of
biotechnology and reducing pesticide amounts on the landscape and
into the water systems … we're addressing those problems that are
critical to the society at large of clean air and clean water. And,
I like knowing that. And, I want to be a part of that."

According to a study released by the National Center of Food and
Agricultural Policy (NCFAP), GM crops have enabled U.S. farmers to
make annual reductions in pesticide applications of 46 million
pounds since 1996. Biotechnology has also helped farmers control
weeds without plowing the land. Leaving the farmland undisturbed has
reduced soil erosion, runoff, tractor fuel use, and greenhouse gas
emissions that result from cultivating the soil.

"We're using a lot of new biotech materials that allow us to not
cultivate the land as hard," says Hardwick in a new video and
podcast available at biotech-gmo.com. "As a result of us crop mixing
and keeping crop residue on the ground and alternate crops, we have
a new foraging opportunity for wildlife."

"It's just a real treat to see that," continues Hardwick. "And to
say that agriculture is helping is a real success story that needs
to be told."

Jay Hardwick's exclusive interview – as well as interviews with
three of his fellow U.S. farmers, Al Skogen, Gordon Wassenaar and
Paul Aasness – can be found at Monsanto Company's Conversations
about Plant Biotechnology website:

http:/www.monsanto.com/biotech-gmo/new.htm

Contact:
Michael Doane