I think it is the intended design. Link quality is about packet losses, while RTT is about, well, RTT, they cover different characteristics of the link, which should all be taken into account for metric calculation. And babeld the reference implementation also allows enabling link quality estimation and the RTT extension at the same time, matching the current behavior of bird.