On Sat, Jan 06, 2024 at 10:48:54AM +0000, Chris Webb wrote:
> Very happy long-term bird user here - thanks for a great routing daemon!
>
> In the changelog for 2.14, I noticed
>

> https://gitlab.nic.cz/labs/bird/-/commit/e83beb70bd14923cece5b35411606ade6fb8fbee
>
> which introduces 'learn all' for the kernel protocol, allowing device routes
> to be imported as with the direct protocol.
>
> Is there any reason/situation to prefer either the direct protocol or 'learn
> all' on the v4/v6 kernel protocol?
>
> If not, is your intention that direct be retired in favour of kernel 'learn
> all' eventually?

That is a good point. we do not have any explicit intention with that,
but it makes more sense to use ones learned from the kernel protocol, as
they are more likely to be consistent with the kernel routing table.
Although they have bad (too low) preference.

--
Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo

Ondrej 'Santiago' Zajicek (email: santi...@crfreenet.org)