In another context outside of this list, I was confused on the version numbering as well, where I ran 2.0.x version, and someone else ran 2.y, with y > x.

A small bit of digging revealed the following paragraph in the NEWS file (see for example <https://gitlab.nic.cz/labs/bird/-/blob/7d2c7d59a363e690995eb958959f0bc12445355c/NEWS#L45-50>):

  Notes:

  new features.

This was also announced on this list at the release of 2.13 (2023-04-23).

However, in a rather long range of x.y.z-like versions (with a somewhat different approach than semantic versioning), it does seem odd to leave out the .z-part on a new minor release, some 4 months after the last release. I suppose a small note of "on release of a new minor version, we leave out the '.<patch>' part" would help a lot for understanding the versioning system.

If lexicographical sort is indeed the way to go, then it would also be nice to have the download page <https://bird.network.cz/?download> reflect that sort. At this moment, '2.13.1' is sorted before '2.13'. This may apply for other pages as well.

Best regards,
Gerdriaan Mulder