It has been a week since I last posted on the Northern Hawk Owl that has been
in the Orillia area since mid-November feeding on Meadow Voles in a field along
Monck Road. The farmer left a second-crop of timothy and alfalfa in the field
which produced an abundance of seeds for rodents mostly Meadow Voles to feed on
this winter. The hawk owl had been feeding on Meadow Voles and was reliable on
his favourite perch at the top of a grove of oaks. It was first reported to the
bird boards on December 10th and reported, observed and photographed by several
people up until last weekend. I thought we had the best situation possible
since we had permission from the landowner, the farmer, to be on his land and
had a neighbour interested in birds monitoring and reporting on his daily
routines. The bird seemed unconcerned about people standing in the field taking
photos and watching him with binoculars. Then things went wrong a week ago
Friday when there was a steady
 stream of observers all day standing in the field watching him on his perch.
The bird seemed unconcerned and continued to hunt. Some were ordered off the
land by a third party. I have a report that he was flying low over a group of
people Friday afternoon making several passes low over their heads but without
prey. He was seen hunting later that day in a nearby garden at 4:00 p.m. on
Friday evening and then reported being found dead near the side of the road
with prey in his talons on Saturday morning at 8:00 a.m. Photos were taken of
the dead owl and his prey and I have been asking to view this photo all week
with no success. Yesterday, a friend sent me the photo and its shows a crumpled
hawk owl with a Meadow Vole. I have checked the area all week and again today
and the Northern Hawk Owl was not seen on all these visits. It appears that
this may have happen late Friday evening and that he got too close the the
highway on one of his hunting flights.
 We know that many owls are hit by vehicles and I recorded over 100 road kills
from this area of Great Gray Owls back in 2004/5. I think it is safe to assume
that the report is correct and the Orillia hawk owl is dead. So it is not worth
a trip up to see a Northern Hawk Owl in this area at this time. I have received
over 70 emails from you with your views of baiting owls with mice and you all
agree that you do not support it. There is no doubt in the minds of MNR
Conservation Officers and they have told me they will charge anyone they find
doing this under baiting wildlife. I hope that OFO will decide on a policy on
this question about feeding owls mice and I am happy to follow any decision
they make. I just think it has to be made clear if it is acceptable or not
without a special permit.
I have had a flock of White-winged Crossbills feeding on cones on the Colorado
Blue Spruce on my front lawn for the last two days. I have only seen this
species feeding on White Spruce cones in the past. Flocks of Bohemian Waxwings
are also common in and around the city.
Bob Bowles
Orillia, Ontario