Hello Ontbirders,
We will go rain or shine. The current meet time is 7:30 according to the OFO
site so that won't change. The ferry docks have machines for the fares. $7 is
the cost this year per person and $4.50 for seniors. You can use the machines
and I will be there to assist. They take exact change AND credit cards. There
is sometimes a queue for these machines so I recommend getting to the meeting
place around 7:20 just in case. The first ferry over to Ward's will be at 7:45.
We are planning to walk around Ward's island and make our way over to Hanlan's.
This is a fairly long walk and you may choose to leave early. There are
schedules at the gates that are free and provide you with ferry times back to
the city from Ward's, Center and Hanlan's.
TTC Note: Thanks to the OFO for making this on a Saturday so subway service to
the islands is available, however if you are coming from the east end of
Toronto the TTC is planning to have the subway closed from Kennedy to Woodbine.
Shuttle buses will be available.
DRIVING:  The Don Valley Parkway is CLOSED on Saturday for spring maintenance.
If you are coming from the north end of the city you will need to take Bayview
Avenue from the 401 and work your way down. Bayview eventually finishes up at
King Street East. You can make a left and head to Yonge street from there.
For those coming from the west end please note the Gardiner Expressway has the
center lanes closed from now until December 2016. This causes traffic delays.
On a Saturday morning you should be fine but it is good to check the traffic
reports to be sure. Lakeshore Blvd West is a good alternate route.
Directions to the ferry dock: Main entrance at foot of Bay Street on Queens
Quay. Enter through the park via the walkway between the Westin Harbour Castle
hotel and Harbour Castle condominiums. Parking is available 1 block north at
Lakeshore and Bay, 1 block west on Queens Quay between Bay and York, 1 block
east opposite Toronto Star building.
>From the TTC you can walk down from Union station (a 10 minute walk) south to
>the ferry terminal or you can take the 6 Bay bus.There is no longer streetcar
>service along Queen`s Quay.
Allow extra time to locate parking as construction in the area has limited that
availability.
Looking forward to seeing everyone on Saturday.
Good birding,
Jay Peterson Trip leader for this outing (416)303-8819