Birders,
The first thirteen days of the winter birding period are now behind us and 177
species of birds have been reported to me so far. This is about average when
compared to the last few winters at this time. Some highlights include two
birds that represent the first ever record (as far as I can discern) for the
winter period in Ontario. These include a Eurasian Collared-Dove in Point Pelee
National Park and at the usual spot in Leamington,  and the long-staying
Eurasian Tree Sparrow in Niagara-on-the-Lake. Additionally, the Tennessee
Warbler continuing at Sedgewick Park in Oakville is one of very few records.
Several other good birds have been reported including ten species of warblers,
Great Egret, Red Phalarope, Pomarine Jaeger, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher and
Baltimore Oriole.
Some of the more likely species that have not yet been reported this winter
include Gray Partridge, Dunlin, Wilson's Snipe, Black-legged Kittiwake, Great
Gray Owl, American Three-toed Woodpecker, Gyrfalcon, House Wren, Marsh Wren,
Pine Warbler and Brewer's Blackbird. As always, should you know of any
additions to the list please let me know.
The updated list can be viewed at http://tinyurl.com/myyulvs
Good (winter) birding,Josh Vandermeulen

Josh Vandermeulen
Aurora, Ontario