On Friday 13 Nov 2015 I estimated the number of COMMON LOONS Loons in a loose,
swimming raft at at least 2,300 birds. I was at Minet’s Point Park in Barrie at
around 10 a.m. I could not find any Pacific Loons among them, but there was at
least one adult RED-THROATED LOON. There were also good numbers of RED-NECKED
GREBES, COMMON GOLDENEYE and COMMON MERGANSERS. There were quite a few of the
expected gulls, but the Little Gulls seems to have moved on as I did not see
any. Numbers of BONAPARTE’S GULLS seem to be dwindling too.

I photographed our perennial GREAT BLACK-BACKED GULL, with the black and white
leg band 0R5, who has been hanging around Barrie for the past four years. It
was banded in Maine in 2011, when it was at least four years old.

To reach Minet’s Point Park, take Hwy. 400 to Barrie and take exit 94 (Essa
Road). Travel north on Essa to Lakeshore and then travel east for about 1.5 km
to Minet’s Point Road. Turn left and watch for the park on your left at the
bottom of the hill.

Burke Korol
Barrie, ON

---