Hey,
I had two singing male Cerulean Warbler along the Big Otter Creek today, where
Bayham Drive crosses. Not necessarily that notable, except that this was my 1st
record from this site for ages. Way back in 1988, Jeff Skevington and I found
as many as 9 pairs along this stretch of river. Those numbers dwindled, year by
year, until they disappeared completely in the late 1990's.
The CERW favour singing from the large sycamores lining the river here.
Up the road [south] there is a superb hemlock ravine that has played host to
Louisiana Waterthrush for decades. No action today but I'm sure they are still
in there, habitat is archetypal.
To reach the site, take Hwy 3 to Bayham Drive. Go south to the ''Bridge out''
sign, brake heavily, e-brake if necessary. CERW were near the bridge.
Cheers, James Holdsworth, Biological Consulting Services226-228-1428,
jmholdswo...@rogers.com
'If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.'' -
Ferdinand Porsche